Monday, January 23, 2012

Easy Valentines


Valentine's Day is just a couple short weeks away, and as I've seen the boxes of valentines and candy hearts popping up everywhere, I figured I had better get off the old duff and get the old brain working for what The Redhead will be sharing with her friends at daycare.  
I wasn't super excited about making cookies or including candy, because gosh, kids have *just* started to come down off of the sugar/candy free-for-all that starts at Halloween and lasts through the holidays.  

I don't know about your kids, but The Redhead is a brutus when it comes to crayons.  She loves to color and draw, but we seem to have a surplus of broken crayons laying around.  She also is a bit of a princess and doesn't care to use the crayons once they're broken.  That's my girl.

So, here's a way to upcycle broken stuff, and turn it into something usable, pretty and fun that you can give to your kiddo's pals.

Take these:


+
(silicone baking tray from Target, $2.50 at the Dollar Spot.  Yeah, I don't get that either.  But whatev.)

Chop up your broken guys.  I used a kitchen knife and it cut 'em up like buttah.

Put the tray in the oven at 250 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.  When they've completely cooled, just pop them out (this is when using the silicone tray becomes the greatest thing ever) and prepare for your pals! :)


  
Cheers,




Pin It

Coastal Charm, A2Z

14 comments:

  1. Dumb question, but it's still a crayon, right? Just a really cool, heart-shaped, multi-colored one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! A totally usable (and cute - thank you!:) ) crayon

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. Seriously. Is this a broken crayon the Redhead will use? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super duper. Loved your craft! Can't believe I just threw away the stubs :( Not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to use the chunks I have! You should join me for Handmade 52! http://raisingoranges.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Okay, I feel like this post was JUST for me as I have that same silicone heart thingy and have never used it and it didn't sell on my garage sale PLUS I find so many broken crayons everywhere I've just been tossing them all in the garbage. NOW I know what to do!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable. And I am now off to the dollar tree to see if they have any trays lurking in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so fun and they look so easy to make. I need to try them! Would you be willing to link up to my Valentine Link Party going on now? I'd love to have you! Thanks, Michelle
    http://michellepaige.blogspot.com/2012/01/rockin-valentine-valentine-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Visiting from sundae scoop. Defiantly doing this for my daughters class! I have a bigger heart tin.. so they are going to get one giant crayon. :)

    If you get a chance I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party going on now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for taking the time to link up to my Valentine Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emily--after being a pre-k teacher for 19 years, this is near and dear to my heart! I melted more broken crayons than I can count!
    These are adorable as valentines!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super duper. Loved your craft! Can't believe I just threw away the stubs Not anymore.

    ReplyDelete